Diabetic Foot Care Dos & Don’ts
- Inspect your feet daily for any open wounds, blisters, swelling, or nail problems.
- Moisturize your feet regularly to avoid itching or cracking of the skin.
- Have periodic checks ups with your podiatrist to avoid any complications.
- Keep the blood flowing through your feet. Massage your feet, wiggle your toes, go on a walk for 5 min, etc.
- Make sure to maintain a healthy blood sugar level. High sugar blood levels can lead to nerve cell damage.
Diabetic Foot Care Don’ts
- Never use electric blankets, hot water bottles, or heating pads because you can burn your feet without noticing.
- If soaking your feet in hot water, make sure to check the water temp with your hand before sticking your feet in the tub.
- Do not try to remove and calluses or corns. Seek professional help from your podiatrist.
- Do not wear socks or tights with elastic that can cut off circulation to your feet.
- Do not walk barefoot anywhere. You can easily scratch or cut yourself.
If you are a diabetic and would like to have your feet evaluated by a professional, call us at 707-578-1222 to schedule your next appointment.